PAWS Technical Advisory Panel
Refining methods, guiding analysis
A separate coordination and delivery committee will include organizations and institutions and will work closely with the range countries to deliver on the specific goals of executing surveys and helping with subsequent data analyses.
The expert panel will be responsible for providing scientific oversight and guidance. This includes development and approval of methods and sampling strategy standards for PAWS, providing support and guidance to implementing partners, and supervising data analyses and interpretations.
Additionally, the panel will ensure generation of periodic reports and provide a brief progress update every 6 months. The panel will meet at least once a year, preferably on the sidelines of the GSLEP Steering Committee Meeting.
The panel’s term will be for a period of 2 years following which the panel’s membership will be reviewed and reconstituted. Members may be re-invited or replaced depending on their other time commitments and feasibility to contribute to the PAWS process.
A tentative list of first members of the panel includes:
- David Borchers, Head-Statistics, Centre for Research in Ecological and Environmental Monitoring, University of St. Andrews, Scotland, UK, (Co-Chair)
- Lu Zhi, Centre for Nature and Society, Peking University, China / Steering Committee Chairperson, Snow Leopard Network (Co-Chair)
- Ashiq Ahmad Khan, former Steering Committee Chairperson, Snow Leopard Network
- Charudutt Mishra, Science and Conservation Director, Snow Leopard Trust, USA / Senior Scientist, Nature Conservation Foundation, India / Executive Director, Snow Leopard Network
- Chris Sutherland, Assistant Professor, Department of Environmental Conservation, University of Massachusetts-Amherst, USA
- James Nichols, Scientist Emeritus, United States Geological Survey, USA
- Sandro Lovari, University of Siena, Italy / Steering Committee Member, Snow Leopard Network
- Som Ale, Clinical Assistant Professor, Biological Sciences, University of Illinois, USA
- Thomas McCarthy, Head, Snow Leopard Program, Panthera, USA
- Wali Modaqiq, Deputy Director General, National Environment Protection Agency and GSLEP National Focal Point, Afghanistan