The Secretariat of the Global Snow Leopard and Ecosystem Protection Program was formed by order of the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic on July 11, 2014.
The Secretariat’s mission is to assist the snow leopard range countries and partner organizations to implement the Bishkek Declaration by coordinating and facilitating the implementation of the Global Snow Leopard & Ecosystem Protection Program.
The GSLEP Steering Committee has defined the following goals for the Secretariat:
- To coordinate the implementation of the Global Snow Leopard Ecosystem Protection Program (GSLEP) and to maintain momentum as well as high-level attention in order to progress towards the goal of the GSLEP Program
- To assist in resource mobilization for implementing the goals of the GSLEP Program including the National Snow Leopard and Ecosystem Protection Plans (NSLEPs) as well as the Global Support Components (GSCs).
- To facilitate the implementation of the Global Support Components (GSCs) of the GSLEP that transcend national boundaries and go beyond the capacity of any one country to address alone.
- To act as a hub for collating information regarding the Global Snow Leopard and Ecosystem Protection (GSLEP) Program to enable knowledge sharing, program outreach, and joint program evaluation.
To achieve its goals, the Secretariat assumes a number of tasks:
- Assist the Steering Committee to fulfill its functions and maintain excellent communication with Steering Committee Members and National Focal Points of the GSLEP Program.
- Conduct annual meetings of the Steering Committee and other periodic meetings as needed.
- Conduct annual program consultations with all snow leopard range countries, donors, and implementing partners to review progress made, and disseminate the results.
- Work with partners to develop capacity enhancement programs within Kyrgyz Republic and across snow leopard range states.
- Develop and implement mechanisms and frameworks for information sharing for the GSLEP Program in consultation with the Range Countries.
- Communicate with the range countries, the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic, the partner organizations and donor agencies regarding the GSLEP
- Program’s needs, objectives, resource mobilization, implementation, and information sharing.
- Develop and implement an outreach and media strategy to promote the visibility of the GSLEP Program in the international media as well as within the range countries.
- Develop project proposals in collaboration with the various partners for resource mobilization for GSLEP Program implementation and for sustaining the functions of the Secretariat.
- Develop mechanisms for funding with donors and range states and to connect with internal financial institutions in this regard.
- Explore innovative financial architecture such as REDD+ and Climate
- Work with partner organizations to raise resources for and implementation of the Global Support Components of the GSLEP Program.
- Solicit funds from range countries and partner organizations for supporting the staffing and functions of the Secretariat.
- Work with the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic to develop legally and functionally appropriate structure for the Secretariat that will allow it to receive funds from range countries and partner organizations.
- Develop appropriate staffing and management systems for the Secretariat in consultation with key partners.
- Secure appropriate office space and equipment to allow for the efficient functioning of the Secretariat.
- Review and improve Secretariat structure and staffing
- Prepare monthly review reports of Secretariat functioning.
- Work with experts and acquire human resources to fulfill its functions.
phone: (+996) 550518815
Logistics and Communications Specialist
phone: (+996) 706225588
phone: (+996) 553173333
Dr. Koustubh Sharma
International Coordinator & Senior Regional Ecologist-Snow Leopard Trust
phone: (+91) 9871144991, (+996) 551218116
Senior International Advisor & Founding Director-Global Tiger Initiative (World Bank)
phone: (+91) 8447473989, (+996) 552819481